Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Ramen Noodle Bowls

short rib ramen bowl 
I got this recipe from my meal planning source again. My kids were not crazy about it (how I'm not sure... they mostly had noodles) but I thought it was delicious. The original recipe called for short ribs, but I swapped it for chicken to lighten things up. I really enjoyed the flavor of the bok choy but found it very difficult to eat gracefully so I may sub some chopped kale next time. Frankly, I may just play around with the vegetables and see what combo I like the best. I'm seeing carrots, another red pepper... maybe some peas too. Since the kids won't eat it anyhow I may try to up the vegetables and reduce the noodles to just two packets. You could also use less soy sauce and/or homemade vegetable broth to try to bring down the sodium content in this dish. (I could not find chili garlic sauce so I got sweet chili sauce instead.) Point being, there are lots of ways to modify this in an effort to make it work for you. But the vegetable broth & coconut milk base is very tasty.
 
SERVINGS : 6 PEOPLE COOK TIME : HOURS PREP TIME : MINUTES

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 8 cups vegetable stock
  • 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 2-3 inches ginger root, unpeeled and sliced
  • 6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 14 oz straw mushrooms
  • 1 can baby corn, drained
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2-3 baby bok choy, sliced horizontally
  • 15 oz light coconut milk
  • 1-2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
  • 3 packages Ramen Noodles, noodles only
  • 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
  • kosher salt, to taste
  • pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS

  1. Place chicken, stock, soy sauce, sliced ginger, sliced garlic, and onion in a slow cooker.
  2. Cook on low for 7-8 hours. 
  3. Remove the chicken breasts and shred.
  4. Strain broth into a large bowl and pour it back into the slow cooker.
  5. Turn slow cooker to high and add chicken, mushrooms, baby corn, bell pepper, bok choy, coconut milk, chili garlic sauce, and noodles (discard the flavor packets). Cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes or until noodles and vegetables are tender.
  6. Season with lime juice and salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment