Monday, September 30, 2013

Broccoli Soup

 
Amanda and I were just discussing that as most of our friends have started complaining about the rain we have been secretly celebrating it and this is one of the reasons why... soup. There are few other ways for me to feel both so virtuous and so satisfied after a meal as I do when I've made some soup. A fabulous way to pack in a ton of vegetables and it just makes you feel all cozy and hunkered down. This soup is amazing and incredibly simple (you don't even have to chop the broccoli... what could be easier! I find it a little bland so I used a fair amount of salt and added some white pepper (another ingredient that makes me think of Lauren every time I use it). Next time I will definitely make a double batch as it freezes well for lunches.

Ingredients:

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 2 (10 ounce) packages chopped frozen broccoli, thawed
  • 1 potato, peeled and chopped
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, and saute onion and garlic until tender. Mix in broccoli, potato, and chicken broth. 
  2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. 
  3. With a hand mixer or in a blender, puree the mixture until smooth. 
  4. Return to the saucepan, and reheat. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, hurray! I've still got tomatoes, basil, carrots AND broccoli to cook up from the market on Saturday. Broccoli, you're up!

    ReplyDelete