Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Curried Chicken Pot Pie




This was posted in the NCC summary on Google docs, so it's nothing new, but since I made it tonight, I thought I'd get it on the blog.  It's the least I could do.  It's already 9:30 p.m. on a school night so I haven't had a chance to try it, but it looks beautiful.  Since I had Pillsbury Grands in the refrigerator from when Alex and Meredith were home for Carly's wedding, I used those instead of making a crust.  Like I was gonna do that anyway.  Aye, right, as Mike would.  It looks and smells absolutely wonderful.  I'll let you know tomorrow how it tastes. This is obviously not low fat, but I had the ingredients and I had to use them somehow.  This seemed like a really good idea.
Ingredients:

  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons curry powder
  • 2 cups diced peeled baking potato (about 12 ounces)
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 1/2 pounds skinned, boned chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 3/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
  • Cooking spray
  •  
    1. To prepare filling, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add curry; cook 2 minutes. Add potato, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and chicken; stir-fry 3 minutes. Add broth and next 5 ingredients (broth through black pepper); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until chicken is done. Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Stir in cornstarch mixture and cream cheese; cook 1 minute or until cream cheese is melted.
    2. Spoon the filling into a round 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Roll the crust into an 11-inch circle, and place over mixture. Cut 6 slits in top of the dough to allow steam to escape. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly around the edges. Let stand 10 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Way better method for the crust. I originally tried to make the one called for in the recipe; it didn't turn out that well.

    ReplyDelete