Friday, May 24, 2013

Asian Salmon

Been reading a book called "YOU: On a Diet" as I have recently gotten very excited about working out and eating healthy (no, someone did not hack my account, I'm serious.) This is a recipe from that book that I plan to try next week.


  • 4 skinless salmon fillets (about 4 ounces each)
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
  • 1 Tbs grated fresh ginger root
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp maple syrup
  • 2 green onions, chopped


  1. Place salmon in a pie plate or shallow dish. Combine remaining ingredients; mix well.
  2. Pour marinade over salmon ; let stand 15-20 minutes.
  3. Heat a ridged grill pan over medium heat until hot.
  4. Add salmon, discarding marinade; cook 3-4 minutes per side or until salmon is opaque and firm to the touch.
The usual substitutions should be expected... pre-minced garlic in a much larger quantity than specified, pre-minced ginger... and I'll probably use the George Foreman grill as I don't own a ridged grill pan.

4 comments:

  1. Like the sound of this, Mere. We usually eat salmon at least every second week. I bought some last week which had a teriyaki marinade and it made me think I should make my own, but I could give this a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried this tonight and very much enjoyed it, Mere. Will do this again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, was your marinade kind of a paste-like consistency? I liked this but thought it could use more flavor. I may try some adjustments or just try the honey soy broiled salmon from the NCC history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I missed your comment, Mere. Not quite used to this format yet.
    I'd say the marinade "emulsified" when it was mixed, if that's the right term. I'll be trying it again in the next couple of days so I'll give it a bit more consideration.
    As for flavour, you know I don't follow recipes, so I put in the ingredients in the amounts I thought I needed, marinated the fish, put it on a baking tray, spooned the marinade over and threw it in a hot oven for about 25 mins.
    If you haven't tried it cold, it was great on sandwiches with some salad leaves. The taste reminded me of hot-smoked salmon (do you guys speak of hot-smoked and cold-smoked?)

    ReplyDelete