Thursday, May 23, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal



Don't eat the green stuff! (Photo credit: bitchingkitchen)

I remember the large patch of rhubarb that my grandfather grew in the back right corner of his garden. I wondered how these big leafy greens ended up looking red in the strawberry rhubarb pie my grandmother made --- and why someone would put a vegetable in a dessert. (I don't think I ever tried the pie, sadly.) 

This discrepancy was addressed in third grade during my "Supermarket Botany" class at summer enrichment camp. Turns out, rhubarb leaves are poisonous...which is probably why only the stalks are sold in the grocery stores.

A few weeks ago, I noticed rhubarb on display in the grocery store and stumbled on this recipe shortly thereafter. I've made it twice now and find it makes a tasty, filling breakfast and/or snack.

INGREDIENTS
Filling
  • 1 medium ripe banana, sliced thinly
  • 2 ½ cups of strawberries, chopped
  • ¾ cup rhubarb, cut into small pieces
  • 1 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/3 cup honey

Topping
  • 1 cup uncooked quick oats
  • 1/3 cup slivered almonds (optional - I prefer to leave them out)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  •  pinch of salt
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 3/4 cup fat free milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 375 F. 
  2. Lightly spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray. Line the bottom with banana slices.
  3. Combine strawberries, rhubarb, honey, and cornstarch. Toss to coat. Pour over banana slices.
  4.  Using two bowls:    
    • Mix together the oats, ½ of the almonds, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. 
    • Whisk together milk, egg, vanilla extract, and 1 Tbsp honey  
  5. Combine the dry and wet mixes from step 4. Pour over fruit mixture, sprinkling remaining almonds on top.
  6. Bake for approximately 35 minutes. Serve warm. (Add whipped cream for a healthy dessert.
Recipe via skinnytaste

8 comments:

  1. Do you think this would reheat well? I love having breakfast already made for weekday mornings. And veggies in the morning? Excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely reheats well - and I recommend eating it warm. It's kind of like a healthy cobbler with the high fruit/veggie:oatmeal ratio rather than the more traditional baked oatmeals that I've had.

      Delete
  2. Really good! Next time I think I'll use 2 bananas and have thicker slices because I really liked the sweetness of the banana pieces. And a nice temperature contrast to the refrigerator oatmeal I usually make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good! Next time I think I'll use 2 bananas and have thicker slices because I really liked the sweetness of the banana pieces. And a nice temperature contrast to the refrigerator oatmeal I usually make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://nannercookingclub.blogspot.com/2013/05/strawberry-rhubarb-baked-oatmeal.html?showComment=1632295000731#c2126001464587615098

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interestingly you write, I will address you'll find exciting and interesting things on similar topics. houstonembroideryservice.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is especially decent, though look into the tips during this home address. check this out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your texts on this subject are correct, see how I wrote this site is really very good. check this site

    ReplyDelete