Friday, May 3, 2013

Skillet Mac and Cheese

3 1/2 c. water
1 (12 ox) can evaporated Milk
3 cups elbow macaroni
salt and pepper
1 tsp corn starch
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp hot sauce
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded monterey Jack cheese
3 TB butter

Bring 3 1/2 cups water, 1 cup evap milk, macaroni and 1/2 tsp salt to simmer in skillet over high heat, stirring often until Mac is tender. Whisk remaining 1/2 cup evap milk, cornstarch, mustard and tobasco together then stir into skillet. Continue to simmer until thickened, about 1 min.

Remove from heat, stir in chesses one handful at a time--add additional water as needed to adjust sauce consistency. Stir in butter and season with salt and pepper.

From America's Test Kitchen

3 comments:

  1. Can anyone guess what problem I had with this recipe? 10 points to the first person to figure it out ;-)
    I added some cubed ham steak just before I took it off the heat and I skipped the butter because that seemed like an unnecessary addition given all the condensed milk and cheese. It was still super rich... probably won't make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thickening the sauce! Am I right? Do I get the points?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!!!! Turns out it doesn't really need to thicken much after you add all that cheese in, but I swear, I am quitting all recipes that require thickening a sauce. It's bull!

    ReplyDelete