Saturday, March 1, 2014

Squash Mac & Sheeze

Barilla(R) Veggie Elbows Mac and Cheese with Crunchy Bread Crumbs Recipe

Squash Mac & Sheeze

I love squash.  I also really love macaroni and cheese.  You can ask my kids - I can make a mean mac & cheese with sharp cheddar and some gorgonzola thrown in for a bite.  I know this group is always about the cheese.  And I love you for it.  But all that cheese is not really good for those in my age bracket or if you're watching your weight.  :) So when I found this recipe that uses squash instead of cheese I thought it looked like a perfect marriage.  And in fact, it was!  This is so, so easy and really delicious.  And think of  how easy it would be if you used canned squash or pumpkin.  Except for me, having already roasted squash that I can use in a different recipe makes me really happy.  The only thing I would say is to measure the 2 tsp. of Dijon scantily, as opposed to heavily.  

Yield: 4 servings or 1.5 cups of sheeze sauce
Ingredients:
  • 1 fresh butternut squash* (peeled and chopped) OR 1 cup canned butternut squash OR canned pumpkin
  • Extra virgin olive oil, S & P
  • 1 tbsp Earth Balance (or other non-dairy butter replacer)
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened & unflavoured almond milk (revised from 1 cup)
  • 1 tbsp or cornstarch
  • 2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/4-3/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2-1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2-1 tsp kosher salt (to taste) & ground black pepper, to taste
  • 8 ounces of pasta
  • Mix-ins of choice (e.g., kale, spinach, broccoli, peas, pumpkin seeds, etc)

1. Preheat oven to 425F. Line a casserole dish with tin foil. Mix chopped squash with EVOO, S & P. Roast for about 40 minutes, uncovered, or until tender.
2. Melt butter or Earth balance in a pot over low-medium heat. 
3. In a bowl, whisk together milk and cornstarch until clumps are gone. 
4. Add milk mixture into pot and whisk. 
5. Stir in remaining ingredients (Dijon, garlic, lemon, S & P) and whisk over low heat until thickened (about 5-7 minutes or so).
6. Pour over cooked pasta and add veggies, if you like.  I did and I really liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment